Friday, July 13, 2012

Cover Love

Don't judge a book by it's cover, but in the end we all do. Well, I do. Call me shallow, but do you pick up a book when the cover doesn't appeal to you? To be clear I'm talking about picking up books you hadn't heard of before seeing it. Or maybe you make your choice based on something else? Of course, if I heard great things about a book, there's not much that can stop me from reading it, especially not an unappealing cover. I've even gone as far as reading books without liking the synopsis, just because the reviews were that good. 
This post is mostly about covers and a bit about the books behind them.


Beautiful covers, amazing stories


These are just two examples of many. I've read Under the Never Sky recently and I loved it. His Dark Materials I read a while ago, like two years, but I mostly choose this book for it's cover. In The Netherlands this isn't a book every child has read, so I didn't discover it until the movie The Golden Compass came out and I didn't really like it, but when I saw this cover I just couldn't stop thinking about it. So I bought it, read it and now it's one of my all-time favorites. 


Unappealing covers, beautiful stories


Another one of my all-time favorites: The Time Traveler's Wife, what an amazing story. I have cried for hours after finishing this book. It's so beautiful, complex and well written. But I never really liked the cover. The same with Finding Sky. The story is good, but that cover is just a bit weird. But luckily that didn't stop me from really loving these books, so hopefully I'm not that shallow after all. 


Beautiful covers, disappointing stories

And there's the other way around. I couldn't wait to read these books, especially Switched. I had only seen the cover and I just wanted to read that book! With The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove I already knew the Fallen series by Lauren Kate, but I loved this cover as well. And the stories were so disappointing. I had high hopes for the latter, and it just wasn't as great as Fallen. But Switched was so bad. When I started reading I liked it, but when I finished the first part it just got worse and worse. Beautiful covers can definitely be misleading!

Let me know in the comments what covers you love/like/dislike!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I like the cover for Days of Blood and Starlight, but haven't read it so can't speak of the story. The cover of A Path of Daggers, by Robert Jordan, which is actually book 8 in the series, is what got me to pick up book 1 and now it's like my favorite series of all time!

    Great covers with disappointing stories are like great trailers with disappointing movies, don't you think? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the cover for Switched and the other covers in the series as well but the one on my shelf is the red cover that I've borrowed from my friend because she loves the book. A book that had a gorgeous but a story that disappointed me is actually Fallen by Lauren Kate. I LOVE that cover and wanted to love the story but couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Benedict Brothers series! :D

    And I'll have to agree their covers really don't do the stories justice :/ Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!