Sunday, November 18, 2012

Review Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi



Vrees MeTitle: Vrees Me (Dutch version)
Original Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: September 17th, 2012 (Blossom Books)
Pages: 351
Source: gift
Series: 
Shatter Me #1
Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

I've read this book a while ago, before I even started blogging. So when I was picking out the books for my 200 followers giveaway I noticed I've never written a review! I love this book so much I thought why not now? Shatter Me is translated in Dutch by Blossom Books, an awesome Publishing House where I had my internship for the past couple of months! So I was part of the editing process of this book and it was totally awesome. I learned a lot! 

Shatter Me is pretty hard to edit since it has such an unique writing style. It's something you have to get used to. Tahereh Mafi uses 'train of thought' quite literary. Phrases are crossed out, sometimes there are no commas or dots and words are repeated over and over again. It takes a few pages to get into it, but I promise you after that you'll love it! By now I've also read Destroy Me and Unravel Me and with all three I jumped up and down in my chair with all the love I have for these books! They're amazing!

This isn't the first Dystopian I've read, but it is one of the best! The world setting is actually inside Juliette's head. Everything you read is in her head. Even more so than in other books. (If this doesn't make sense, it will when you read the book!) It's really hard to explain (believe me I've tried about thirty phrases, but it all comes out wrong). Juliette hasn't seen the outside world for a year, so she explains how it was before that, and when she does see it, it's even more damaged. Seriously, Tahereh Mafi has a gift. I can't even begin to explain how she puts it! You just have to read the book!

One thing I can explain is how beautiful this cover is! I've read both the English and Dutch version. The English with the original cover and the Dutch with this one. While we were editing the Dutch one this paperback cover got released. My first reaction was not completely positive. But after seeing it a couple of times I got used to it and started to really love it! Especially when you see it next to the covers of Destroy Me and Unravel Me it's just so pretty!
And there so much more to it than you see the first time! 
In the story Juliette mentions a bird a couple of times. If you look closer to the pupil, you see there's a bird there! Beautiful detail!

I think I've never written a review that was so all over the place (well, it feels that way for me). I hope it makes sense anyway. I absolutely recommend Shatter Me!

1 comment:

  1. Klinkt echt super! Ik heb dit boek al een tijdje liggen, maar ben er nog niet in begonnen. Ik ben heel benieuwd na zo'n positieve recensie!

    Weet jij trouwens of ze ook afstudeerplekken hebben bij Blossom Books?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!