Thursday, November 08, 2012

Review Cinder by Marissa Meyer



Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published: January 3rd, 2012 (Feiwel & Friends)
Pages: 276
Source: bought
Series: Lunar Chronicles
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

The first thing I thought when I read a few pages was: WHY didn't I read this sooner? And it just got better after that! I love fairy tale retellings and this one was pretty awesome! Cinderella was one of my favorite fairy tales. 

Cinder is a cyborg and the best mechanic in New Beijing. What I thought was most amazing about this story is that is a different kind of retelling. The most I've read have more connections to the original story, but with Cinder it were just the little stuff. Cinder is a servant, brought to the family by a man she sees as a father, but he isn't. He died and she got stuck as a servant for Adri and her two daughters. And of course she meets the prince when he visits her to get his cyborg fixed. The moments with him had the most Cinderella-feeling over it. I had to get used to the cyborg things, but it gave the story a very original twist! It combined future, past and present. People are dying of the plague and servant cyborgs are being sacrificed to find the antidote. Cinder is immune and she hopes to save her stepsister Peony, who just got the disease. 

This was one of the pieces of the puzzle that came together at the ending. I must say the ending didn't came as a surprise for me, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It definitely had me wanting more. I really can't wait to read Scarlet. 

Of all the characters I loved Iko the most. She's just so sweet and adorable. I would have loved to have a cyborg like that! I also loved Peony. I expected her to be cruel, being one of the stepsisters and all, but she a really nice person. It broke my heart a little when she got sick. She was the last person that deserved that! 

I must say that my expectations were really high before I started this book and that's always a bit dangerous. I thought the story would be more emotional. Sometimes I felt a bit detached. I still think the story was amazing, but it's the reason I gave Cinder 4 stars. 
I would still recommend it though! It's an amazing story!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I loved Peony as well, I thought it was a nice change that not both of the stepsisters were mean girls. Can't wait for Scarlet too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! Reading tons of reviews of this one lately and it has already more than convinced me to read it too! Really it was Scarlet that caught my eye and then suddenly many reviews of Cinder were popping up! I won a contest awhile back and I chose this as my prize! It's in transit now and it will hopefully be here soon!

    I love fairy tale retellings as well, whether it's a direct retelling or just having the elements, which this one seems to. I love fairy tales as well, so this is definitely one I cannot wait to read!

    And on another note, since my comment's not long enough ;) , I like there being a nice stepsister as well! It's like in Ever After when Jacqueline was the one nicer to Danielle. It's more caring than the original story with the stepsisters both being cruel!

    Okay, comment done! Lovely review again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your review! It's one of those books I own.. but for some reason am just not picking up! When I first heard of it I had to have it and then I just got kinda blah about it. Butttt reading your review totally bumps it up on my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Cinder as well, but unlike you I was initially worried that there wouldn't be enough 'emotion' in the book because it's about Cyborgs and Androïds... So to me the amount of emotion was a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having high expectations is always terrifying, because it seems like you set yourself up for disappointment! I've got htis book on my shelf, just staring at me! I hope to get to it soon, too many books!

    I read the 5 chapter sampler and really liked it though, Iko was so full of life and seems like a great character.

    Great review!
    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you linked this in to Books You Loved, Helene. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great book, I have been meaning to read this one for ages.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!