Sunday, November 25, 2012

Review Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi


Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)Title: Destroy Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: October 2nd, 2012 (HarperCollins)
Pages: 111
Source: for review
Series: 
Shatter Me #1.5
Rating: 4.5 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

*I've tried to keep this review spoiler free for those who haven't read Shatter Me yet. There might me slight spoilers, so if you haven't read Shatter Me yet and you don't want any spoilers at all you might want to skip this review*

Destroy Me begins where we last saw Warner in Shatter Me. He got shot and his team is at a loss. He's brought home to be nursed back to health. He's convinced he can fix his mistakes, but his father isn't so sure and comes over to watch Warner and to show him how it's really done. And yes, he really is a horrible man. He's so mean and he treats Warner as a little child. So we get to see a whole other side of Warner. 

Tahereh Mafi really has an amazing writing style. She knows her characters. Destroy Me couldn't have been more different from Shatter Me! And that's how you get to know Warner! Not through the things he says, or the things said to him, but through the writing style! I was jumping up and down with excitement while reading this book. It's amazing!

The most special thing about this book is that we get to see Juliette through Warner's eyes. If you have been wondering what she wrote down in her notebook (I have!) you get a peek through Warner when he finds her notebook and reads it. In Shatter Me he claims he needs and loves her, in Destroy Me I almost began to believe him. I just couldn't let go of all the horrible things he's done. 

I first read Unravel Me before reading this book and I don't recommend that order! It's definitely a book you want to read before the second installment in the series, because it makes Unravel Me so much more intense. 

4 comments:

  1. I read this after Unravel Me as well but it worked okay. It was nice to get inside Warner's head and understand him more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so need to read this one! I'm in love with Shatter Me and can't wait for Unravel Me :) Not a big Warner fan, but according to all the reviews that might change after this novella...

    Judith @ Paper Riot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we like the same books! You write nice reviews!
    I'm gonna follow you!

    Greetz! Bibi

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!