Sunday, September 23, 2012

Review League of Strays by L.B. Schulman


Title: League of Strays
Author: L.B. Schulman
Published: October 1st, 2012 (Amulet)
Pages: 288
Source: for review
Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: When Charlotte Brody, a lonely 17-year-old student at a new school, receives an invitation to join The League of Strays, she's intrigued by the group's promise of "instant friendship." The League does provide companionship--and even a love interest--but Charlotte grows increasingly uncomfortable with its sinister mission to seek revenge against the bullies of Kennedy High. When escalating acts of vengeance threaten to hurl her down a path of remorse, Charlotte must choose between her new friends and the direction of a future she's never fully considered.

When I read this synopsis I thought this would be an interesting read. After being approved for this title I read some reviews on Goodreads which weren't really positive. It didn't stop me from reading this book and I really thought I would like it. But there were some points that made me like the book less. 

First of all the main character, Charlotte Brody. She just moved to a new school and hasn't made any friends. Her biggest bully moved to the same school (talking of coincidence) and she blames her for all the bad things in her life. When Charlotte receives a note with a time and date for a meeting of The League of Strays she jumps at it. And there she lost me. Who goes to such a meeting while you're bullied your entire life? That's just asking for trouble. And the naivety of the protagonist didn't stop there. The leader of the group makes them do all kind of horrible things to other people. The whole story she wonders if what she's doing is the right thing. After a while I wanted to smack her, tell her to shut up and take her own advice: leave that creepy group!

The idea behind the book is nice. There are to many kids out there who are being bullied. And I think that every single one of them dreams about getting even with their bullies. But is this the way? I think not. The ending made up a lot of all the things that happened in the book and I kinda started to like Charlotte. 

At first I gave the story only 2 stars, but after thinking about it for a while I decided to give it 3 stars. Mainly because of the idea behind the book and the ending. Those two make up a lot. Maybe if you're bullied yourself you can relate a bit more. I had a hard time with it. I would've liked it if the ending was more prominent in the book and had come sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!