Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review Undeadly by Michele Vail


Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)Title: Undeadly
Author: Michele Vail
Published: November 20th, 2012 (Harlequin Teen)
Pages: 272
Source: for review
Series:
The Reaper Diaries #1
Rating: 2 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper-and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she’s shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath. Who seems to hate her guts.

Rath will be watching closely to be sure she completes her first assignment-reaping Rick, the boy who should have died. The boy she still wants to be with. To make matters worse, students at the academy start turning up catatonic, and accusations fly-against Molly. The only way out of this mess? To go through hell. Literally.

Let's start with a good thing. The idea behind the book is nice. This was the first book I've read about reapers and I like the theme. The stuff with Anubis as the leader of the reapers is also pretty cool. So far I enjoyed it. 

And then I actually read the story. At the beginning I thought the constant sarcastic tone of the main character was refreshing. Maybe I was having a sarcastic day, because the next time I picked it up I almost threw my ereader through the room with frustration. It reminded me strongly of the House of Night series. That series started out good, but turned out to be so bad, so it wasn't a good comparison. 
For everyone who has read that series: you know how they're constantly using these "hip" phrases, Michele Vail does the same and it annoyed me so much. Seriously, if I read the words Hoo-kay and Whatevs one more time I'll go crazy. There were more comparisons, like the unrealistic time table, the "best friend with accent". It just didn't work for me. 

Molly is the MC and she's just not my type of person. Of course she's one of the most amazing reapers the world has ever seen, but she just doesn't get it. Normally if you get that much responsibility people act like it. But no, Molly just kept on going making stupid mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, but not like this. You'd be a walking disaster. 
The side characters were nice, but they didn't develop much and that was a shame. 

I hoped the ending would make up for most of this, but it was such a cliche ending. *Spoilery*(Star Wars anyone?)*End of spoilery*

I really thought I would like this book, otherwise I would never have requested it on Netgalley. But I guess this just wasn't for me. 

I started with something positive, so I'll end with one as well. I think the cover is pretty cool!

3 comments:

  1. Reapers! They seem to be everywhere these days... I haven't read any reaper books yet, but this one seems okay! I loved your *spoilery* bit in the review. ;)

    Great review, Helene!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I spent most of this novel convinced that it was just the first House of Night novel in disguise. There's so many similarities! From the southern bff to the bf being in her thrall after the MainCharacter accidentlly messed him with her magic....

    It irritated me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... I was actually looking forward to this one hahahaha! But this makes me rethink all of that. I like the first few house of nighters and then it got annoying, so it's bad that this book is annoying from the start! Have you finished HoN? I didn't... not sure if I ever going to. Though I have the first 6(?) books in the series and it feels weird not to have a complete series..

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!