Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Top Ten Bookish Goals For 2013

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday has another topic and different bloggers give their top ten. I love making lists, so here's mine for this week!

This week topic is 

Top Ten Bookish Goals For 2013

1. Lower my TBR pile
I want to read all the books that have been on my shelves for at least a year. Of course it would be even better to get them all read this year, but I already know I'm never going to make that. I also resolve to read at least two books for every book I buy. That TBR pile needs lowering. That also goes for all the previews I keep downloading. I need to read them and decide if I actually want to buy those books!
  

2. Beat my 2012 goal
Although I set my Goodreads Reading Challenge goal to 100 for this year, I actually hope to beat my goal from last year. This year will probably be a bit busier than last year and I do want to reach my goal (ambitious girl over here :P), so I set it a bit lower to begin with. 

3. More reading challenges
Blogging brought so many amazing things with it, including reading challenges! I entered my first one last fall and although I didn't really made the goals I set, I really enjoyed! So far I entered four. 

4. Discover more book genres
At the beginning of last year I read YA and Chick Lit. Once in a while I would take a sidestep to another genre, but nothing much. Chick Lit was a bit disappointing for me last year, so I want to discover more book genres! I discovered Contemporary last year and I absolutely love reading those books now, can't wait to discover more. 

5. Write more reviews
When I started my blog I wanted to write two reviews a week. I would like to write more! And also make them better! 

6. Re-reading
Last year I re-read Harry Potter and this year I want to re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I've re-read LotR every few years and I want to do it again this year. The Hobbit will be my second time reading it. I don't re-read so many books, because of all the amazing books that are published and I haven't read yet!

7. More commenting on other blogs
I feel like a bad blogger these past few weeks, because I haven't been commenting that much! Starting a new job kind of took most of my time away, but I always enjoy reading other blogs, so I have to pick it up again. Well, I already did actually!

8. More non-fiction
I want to read more non-fiction this year. Actually scrap more, because I almost read close to none last to year. I love learning new things, so I hope to read some cool non-fictions books this year!

9. Buy a new bookcase
I buy so many books, they don't fit on my shelves any longer. I've wanted to buy a new one for a while and I still haven't. So I resolve to buy on this year!

10. Get a library pass
Since I mostly read English books and the library here doesn't have an (good) English section I never go. But since my house is already full of books I think I really need to take a library pass and just read more Dutch books. 

So, that's it for me. What are your Bookish Goals for 2013?


17 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! I also want to lower the TBR pile, re-read, and branch out a bit more in my book choices. Oh, and write more reviews of course.
    When it comes to libraries I have the same problem. Most of them hear have few English books and buy German translations instead, which I can't stomach. I've been considering buying a pass for a few days though because I want to go back and read some of the German authors I used to enjoy, but a year-pass for students is still 35 bucks and I probably wouldn't borrow more than 10 books all year.
    Anyhow, I hope you accomplish what you've set out to do and also buy that shelf ;)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't know you were Dutch too! (Or did I? No, I don't think so.) I totally agree on the library part: the English section is way too small, so I don't go as much as I used to anymore. But sometimes I get a few YA books in Dutch, just to keep myself from buying ALL THE BOOKS all the time ;) I hope you get to achieve all your goals this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your resolutions this year especially at branching out into more genres. YA is amazingly good at bringing in different strands of genres that it's not as scary as you think :)
    My TTT:

    http://reflectivebookworm.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-ten-tuesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such great goals! I love your discovering other genres one! I adore contemporary books so I'm happy you are loving them. Good luck in 2013!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we ALL want to tackle the TBR piles this year. It's a recurring goal among so many. I love that you want to include more nonfiction. I haven't seen many reading challenges that feature them.

    Great list. Have a great year reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. -Lower my TBR pile, beat my 2012 challenge, discover more genres, re-read etc. I can see we have quite some things in common. I didn't make a list, but I have a lot of reading/blogging plans this year, haha. Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals!! I also want to start commenting more on other blogs. And I also really need to try and lower my TBR pail to. I am starting to feel guily that I bought all these books last year and I haven't read them yet.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-ten-tuesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have definitely included re-reading on my list! I have so many books that I read pre-blog that I would love to be able to review for my blog, but I get so caught up in new books that they just fall to the wayside slightly. Lowering my TBR pile would be fantastic too. Good luck with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals! I need to work on my TBR piles too! And I want to beat last years number of books read, as my reading sort of fizzled out at the end of the year. Here's to a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have books I'd love to re-read, but I feel guilty doing it, because my TBR pile is just SOOOOOOO overwhelming. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please buy me some new shelves too ;) I am currently doubling haha

    Good luck :) When I live in Rotterdam I am going to get a library card for that library.. which is huge! I hope they have a cool selection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The library is probably my best friend, so I can't believe you don't have a card! I guess that does make it hard if they don't have a good selection of English books...but I hope you get one! Beating my last years reading goal is something I would love to do too! Good luck :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I stumbled across your blog through another book blogs comment and I am sure glad I did! It's always nice to meet fellow bibliophiles!

    Good luck with all of your goals!! I feel you on trying to branch out into different genres of books, at the moment I usually read YA with a small touch of adult chick lit and would love to get into more authors that are great as well

    I just subscribed to your blog and cant wait to see more updates and reviews to add to my ever growing need to read list.

    -Stacy at Longtime Lover Of Literature

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1-7 are all on my list too! As for #10, I wish there were public libraries here in the Philippines :(

    My Goals for 2013

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO MANY of yours are on my list also. Mostly I've been pushing for more bookshelves. I live at home for now, but hopefully not for much longer so my parents aren't so interested in letting me drag more furniture into the apartment. I keep telling them I'll take the books and bookshelves with me when I go, so I don't know why this is such a problem. Oh well. I suppose my books will have to live in disarray a bit longer.

    Great list and good luck with all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a lot of the same goals. I really need to get my TBR pile to a more realistic level, I'd love to beat my reading goal from last year, I need to comment more, and I signed up for a lot more challenges. Oh and if you're interested I'm hosting the 2013 YA Contemporary Challenge on my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lowering the TBR pile - ohhhh yeah. Mine's hovering in the multiple hundreds so I'm joining a couple of other bloggers in a book buying ban this year. At the moment the only books coming in will be the occasional pre-order that I placed before the New Year, which will arrive anytime from February to August I think. Other than that, I'm trying to keep my nose in my OWN books, or at least use the library if I just can't wait!

    I'm also rereading more this year, just because it feels like too often I put it off because of the blog - like I should be reading new stuff all the time. Some of my old favourites deserve a bit of love in 2013! My very first book of the year is Jane Eyre, one of my oldest and MOST favourite books ever, so I'm starting out well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!