Thursday, January 10, 2013

Review Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway



Audrey, Wait!Title: Audrey, Wait!
Author: Robin Benway
Published: April 10th, 2008 (Razorbill)
Pages: 320
Source: won
Rating: 4.5 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can't hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

This is one of those books there should be many more of! Audrey, Wait! is about Audrey who dumps her boyfriend, because all he can think about is his (very non-famous) band and himself. But their break-up inspires Evan to write a song that gets very popular and all of a sudden everybody knows Audrey. Breaking up gives her life a twist she could have never imagined!

It's been a while since a book actually made me laugh out loud! But Audrey, Wait! totally did, multiple times! Robin Benway has an awesome writing style. It's so fun and you just have to love Audrey. She's funny, sweet and totally adorable! And that's even without James! Every fragment of them together I read with a smile on my face. She introduces him as a bit of a dork who can only talk about work. Her best friend, Victoria, almost forces her to give him a fair shot and it's a good thing she does! 

I loved almost everything about this book and read it mostly in one sitting! (a perfect sitting I can say, Saturday night on the couch with lots of tea!) There was just one tiny downside to Audrey, Wait! After a while Victoria irritated me a bit. It seemed to me like she just took advantage of Audrey and her all-of-the-sudden-famous position. I liked her most of the time, but at the point she practically dragged Audrey to the concert of the Do-Gooders (because she got VIP tickets on Audrey's name) I wanted to punch her in the face. What kind of friend would do such a thing? I was a bit amazed that Audrey didn't say anything about it. 

I just discovered Contemporary last year and I'm completely in love with this genre! Audrey, Wait! proves once more I should have started reading these book years ago! I was really missing out on something. So read this!

Thanks to Ginger from Greads! for the giveaway, without you I might not have discovered this amazing book!

4 comments:

  1. I heard about this book not long ago and now I HAVE to get it! Great review, Helene, glad you're finding some awesome Contemporary books to make you laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the couch with a cup of tea is the best setting to read :) I have also just 'discovered' the Contemporary genre, and I want to read a lot more of these kinds of books. Thanks to your review I have another one I should really read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is still very high on my TBR list and your review made me excited for it again! :) I'm glad you got into contemporary because there are some awesome books out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I adored this book and so I'm very glad to see that you loved it too. It was so original and funny! I laughed out loud at this one too. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!