Thursday, January 03, 2013

Review A Shimmer of Angels by Lisa M. Basso


A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)Title: A Shimmer of Angels
Author: Lisa M. Basso
Published: January 29th, 2013 (Month9Books)
Pages: 321
Source: for review
Series: 
Angel Sight #1
Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy. She ignores signs that she may be slipping into the world she has tried so hard to climb out of. But these days, it’s more than just hallucinations that keep Rayna up at night. Students are dying, and she may be the only one who can stop it. Can she keep her job, her sanity, and her friends from dying at the hands of angels she can't admit to seeing?

A Shimmer of Angel was a nice book, but I must honestly say that I'm having difficulty putting in words what I thought about it without being negative. 
I can honestly say that I liked it. I know a lot of readers who were tired of all the angel books. I wasn't and have always enjoyed them. That's also the reason why I requested this title. Unfortunately while reading this book the angel tiredness hit me. The books have just so much in common. 
I read Immortal City by Scott Speer a while ago and loved it. A Shimmer of Angels looks a lot like it. Specifically in the "unseen" bad guy who makes his appearance at the end of the story and is so strong he's invincible. The big difference, and the original part of this story, was Rayna, the MC of this story. At the beginning of this story she's released from a mental institution, because she's no longer seeing wings. Of course she starts seeing them again when she gets home. 

The story had very promising aspects. I liked Rayna, but didn't feel really connected with her. When things are starting to go bad, I would have loved it if I had cared more. It's the same with Cam. It would have been great to learn more about him, it would also make their relationship more believable. I think this is my main struggle with this book: it was too shallow in some points. Mostly with the characters and their relationships towards each other.

I loved the idea behind the series. A girl who can see angels, but doesn't realize it and everyone around her tells her she's crazy until she believes it. When she's released she meets Cam, a boy with wings, but instead of running she decides to get to know him. That way she learns what they really are, angels, and that she isn't crazy after all. She's the only one who can see all angels. Even good angels can't see bad angels and the other way around. 
The story around is nice, but there could've been a lot more to it!

If you love angel books, you want to give this a try! 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I understand getting tired of angel (or vampire, or shifter, or fairy, etc) books, because it seems that there are so many out there that are too similar.
    Im glad you enjoyed the book anyways.

    Great review
    -Theresa Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have this book on Netgalley (I was especially tempted because of the pretty cover) and I always like a good book about Angels. Rayna sounds okay, but I don't like it when I can't connect with a character.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!