Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review Prophecy Girl by Faith McKay


Prophecy Girl (Lacuna Valley, #1)Title: Prophecy Girl
Author: Faith McKay
Published: November 20th, 2012 
Pages: 248
Source: for review
Series: 
Lacuna Valley #1

Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Ever since Samantha Winthrop's mother moved them to Lacuna Valley, supposedly in search of better weather, the list of strange questions she has no answers for has been growing out of control.

Does her little sister, Violet, have the ability to make things happen just by "praying" for them? Are Sam's dreams really predicting the future? Is she destined to marry the boy she just met, and what is the mysterious orb that he's guarding? Why does she get the impression that there are dangerous creatures watching from the woods?

While Sam should be focusing on answering those questions, there is one other that makes them seem almost irrelevant: Is her mother planning on killing her and Violet?

Prophecy Girl tells the story of Samantha Winthrop. She just moved to Lacuna Valley and she's not happy about it. Her mothers made them move many times before, but she's just had it. But this is where things get interesting and she starts to question the things around her. When Nick enters her life it seems like she will be getting her answers, but does she really want to?

I have mixed feelings about Prophecy Girl. The idea behind the story was original and I liked the way Faith McKay plotted it out. But there were also parts I didn't like or even get. Sam's abused by her mother and I think it's very brave of the author to address such a heavy topic in her story. You're confronted with this at the beginning of the story and I could only think: why? Why does this happen? This question isn't really answered until way further into the story. And it doesn't happen once, but multiple times. Because it's such a heavy topic I would have like it when things had been explained earlier. 

I liked the main characters in the story. It's told from Sam's perspective and although at the beginning she was a bit weak, she grew stronger when she had too. Together with Nick, a sweet boy, she discovers more about her destiny and why she has the power to look into the future.
My favorite character was Violet, Sam's 9 year old sister. She could be so funny at times and she lighted up the story for me. 

I thought Faith McKay's writing style was okay, but I had to get used to it. Some parts in the story could have been left out in my opinion, but that is my personal preference. Overall, I thought the story was nice. 
If you like an original story, than you want to give Prophecy Girl a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!