Monday, January 07, 2013

Review Elemental: The First by Alexandra May


Elemental: The First (Primord, #1)Title: Elemental: The First
Author: Alexandra May
Published: November 7th, 2012 (Pauma Publishing)
Pages: 280
Source: for review
Series:
Primord#1
Rating: 2.5 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Just who is Halíka Dacomé?

To Rose Frost, moving house every six months is normal. Another new town here, another new school there, her ability to adapt is as easy as breathing. But everything changes when her parents go overseas and Rose moves in with her grandmother. She enjoys meeting new friends and catching up with old ones from her childhood holidays — except now she must hide a precious secret from everyone, a gift from birth that defies modern day science. 

Her dreams become riddled with a warrior woman called Halíka Dacomé, but are they visions or messages from the future? She starts her own investigation but encounters more questions than answers. Living right on the edge of Warminster in Wiltshire doesn’t help with its folklore and myths about strange lights in the sky and ghost stories of the Salisbury Plain

Not only that, her troubles really take hold one night when the mysterious Aiden Deverill with his alluring smile, his gorgeous dark looks and hypnotising blue eyes, saves her from a freak fire. Or did he? 

For Rose, her new life is beginning but she soon realises that despite assurances people are not always what they seem. What she always believed to be a happy family and a friendly town soon turns on its head when she discovers that her family secret, Aiden Deverill and the truth behind Halíka Dacomé is at the heart of the whole conspiracy.

Most of you probably know that the Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer is one of my favorite, so of course the title of this book immediately caught my eye. The synopsis sounded interesting, so I wanted to give this one a shot and I was pretty happy when I was approved for an ARC from Netgalley. 

Unfortunately you can't love all the books you read and this one I found a bit disappointing. The thing that annoyed me the most was that I had the feeling everything was spelled out for me. Sometimes it's nice to have something left over for your imagination. 

I loved the idea behind the story and apart from Rose noticing that the time flew by I kind of liked her too. Her power to heal living things (not only people, but also plants and animals) was pretty cool. She isn't afraid to take action and find out what's going on and I liked that about her! 

In general I liked the story, but I would have liked it more if the way the story was told was a bit different. As a reader you can come to a lot of conclusions all on your own! Not everything should be told in details. But maybe that's just me. 

The thing I loved most about Elemental: The First is the cover! It's just so pretty! 

1 comment:

  1. I gave this one 3 stars. It just wasn't the book for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!