Thursday, September 27, 2012

Review Don't You Forget About Me by Alexandra Potter


Don't You Forget About MeTitle: Don't You Forget About Me
Author: Alexandra Potter
Published: July 19th, 2012 (Hodder & Stoughton)
Pages: 416
Source: borrowed
Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: After a bad break up, doesn't every girl want the same things?

* For her ex-boyfriend to stay single forever...
* Or maybe emigrate, to a remote, uninhabited island?
* Better still, that she'd never met him in the first place!

But what if one of those wishes came true?
Tess is heartbroken when Seb breaks up with her and can't help blaming herself. If only she'd done things differently. If only she could make right all her regrets... But she can't. It's over. She has to forget about him. Drunk and upset on New Year's Eve she wishes she'd never met him.
But when she wakes up to discover this dream has come true, she realises she has a chance. To do it all over again. And to get it right this time...

When I heard Alexandra Potter was writing a new book I did a little dance! I was so happy! After reading the synopsis I was thrilled! Her last book was such a disappointment, but this sounded good. A friend of mine was so nice to let me borrow her copy. So I dove into the book first thing. And the beginning was really good! But in the end I didn't love it that much anymore.

Tess is heart-broken when her boyfriend dumps her. The story starts on New Year's Eve, a couple weeks after this happened. On the stroke of midnight she throws all the stuff that reminds her of Seb and their relationship into the fire and wishes she had never met him! And her wish comes true. 

The idea behind the book is nice. I think we all have those moments in our lives were we just wish people could forget it. Especially in the beginning of the story it's funny. Because as a reader you know what's going on (the synopsis is loud and clear), but Tess doesn't. So she thinks she's going crazy, or that the people around her are pulling a joke on her. When she figures out what's really going on she jumps at the change to start all over again with Seb. 

The first few chapters after that were nice, although a bit predictable. Almost immediately it's clear that Seb is just a douche and that Fergus is the sweet guy Tess should actually be dating. I don't mind cliches in Chick Lit, but this was just to obvious. 

What irritated me the most were the repetitions. They were driving me insane! After you told me once that Fiona's friends have names she can't remember, I get the deal. I don't need to read that every time they make an appearance! OK, I know, I'm exaggerating, but really just mention it once. 

The ending was real Chick Lit-y. Tess gets what she wants and she's a better person in the end. So that's what made me give this book three stars in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!