Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Review Slated by Teri Terry




Title: Slated


Author: Teri Terry

Published: May 3rd, 2012 (Orchard Books)
Pages: 448
Source: for review
Series: Slated #1
Rating: 3 / 5
Synopsis from Goodreads: Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.
She’s been Slated.
The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth? 


Lately I hear more and more people saying stuff like: "Oh no, not another dystopian". Most of the time I just ignore these people, but when I started reading this book for the very first time I had the same feeling a bit. It was mostly my own fault, since it was my fourth dystopian in a row. Two from which I thought were really, really good. So when I started this one, I wasn't as enthusiastic as I could have been. But even looking back on it, I still give it three stars. Not because this book wasn't good, but in comparison I thought it was less good, than some other books I've read. 

Terry gives us a whole new, well set dystopian world. When young people step out of line, it's a bit vague how bad it must be, they get slated. Their minds are erased completely, so they have to learn everything from the start, even walking. They get assigned new parents and have to build a new life. To prevent them from stepping out of line they get a Levo, some kind of watch, who checks their emotion levels. When they get to an extreme they get a shock.

The main character is Kyla. She's been slated for an unknown reason and after a couple of months, longer than usual, she's released from the hospital to go to her new parents and sister. But Kyla isn't what she seems, because she still gets flashes from her old life. And there are more things pointing out that Kyla is different than others. But then so is the world around her. People who are friendly to slated people are also taken away by the Lorders. Kyla is determined to find out what exactly is going on.

 I thought the story was well thought through. So why did I give it three stars? Mostly because I just couldn't relate to Kyla. She wants to find out how her world works and why she's different. And there the story took some weird turns. I liked Kyla as a person, but her decisions bring her in a position that made me feel uneasy. Especially the ending gave me the frights. I don't think I will read book two. But if you like books with, at least for me, scary turns, than this is your book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!