Sunday, December 09, 2012

Review Losing Lila by Sarah Anderson


Losing LilaTitle: Losing Lila
Author: Sarah Alderson
Published: August 2nd, 2012 (Simon & Schuster UK)
Pages: 320
Source: for review
Series:
Lila #2
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which is somehow tracking their every move. While Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila's only thought is of finding a way back to California so she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they're being held. Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the others she's come to think of as family, Lila plans not only to save her brother and mum, but also to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. But the plan requires Lila to return to California alone, and to make friends with the enemy - and in doing so, she risks losing everything: Alex, her family… even her life.

Most of the time it takes me a while before I read the second part in a series. And although I wasn't completely thrilled by Hunting Lila I read Losing Lila just a couple weeks after and it was a lot better!
I liked Hunting Lila (just not at much as I thought I would), but Losing Lila had so much more!

First of all, Lila has changed, in a very good way. In the first book I thought she was a bit soft at times. Always waiting on her brother and Alex. But not in Losing Lila. She's way more kick-ass and finally thinks and decides for herself! She will, almost literary, does anything to get her mother and brother back, and at the same time trying to protect the friends around her, including Alex. 

Alex and Lila are so sweet together. I was so happy that Alex finally admitted that he really loves Lila, he evens stands up for her! 
What I loved most about the story is that the characters feel very real. Alex is the only one in a large group of people without a "special" power and, like the tough guy he is, he's insecure about it, but doesn't want to show it. 
And with Lila, it's the same. She's this incredible power and she can fight, but she still shows fear to do it. It made me connect more with them!

There are quite some funny parts in the book. I loved that! Sometimes books are so serious! Especially Suki is so funny! Because she can read minds and can't really keep her mouth shut there's some cool, and mostly embarrassing, moments!

Sarah Alderson has a great writing style and I especially like the way she put unexpected turns in the story. Some things I didn't see coming! 
I'm not a big fan of the covers! I know it's a bit shallow to judge a cover, but I think we all do! I'm just glad this book points out that there can be a great story about a not so great cover. 

I enjoyed reading the Lila series and I'm actually a little sad it's over! I would have liked it if there were a third book! 

1 comment:

  1. I read Hunting Lila too and I am really looking forward to this one. It's great that you loved It so much:) I hope there is also more action in this one than in the first one.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!